I really love improvisational quilting and, in fact, have been doing it for about 15 years–since before I knew improvisational quilting was a “thing”. Most of the time it works out great.
This is my first improvisational quilt, made with scraps from an Amish style quilt with yellow added. I made it for the friend who helped me select fabrics for the original quilt.
It wasn’t easy to get good solids back then, and I ended up going to an Amish-owned store. When I got there, I found that there WERE a lot of solids, and MANY of them were polyester blends. Well, duh, if you don’t have an electric iron, that makes a lot of sense. Anyway, I got the solids eventually, but NOT at my local quilt shop!
Once in a while, though, the improvisation requires revision. Maybe more than once!
Take this attempt at an improvised log cabin block, made in 2012 to use up the little maple leaves at the center.
I added too many fabrics, and even though they were in the same color families, the design did NOT gel! That stripe, in particular, really blew it!
It took a while, but in 2015 I cut the piece up and started over, coming up with something I liked better:
And then there was this attempt at Sherri Lynn Wood’s Score #1:
Which I eventually re-made into this donation quilt:
And, just to end on a positive note, let me repeat that mostly the improvisations DO work out well, like this one:
Have a good week!